New Tree Warden Training
Surrey Tree Warden Network - Training Schedule - January to May 2022
- STWN Members Training Session 1. Friday 28th January at 7pm. Zoom
- Tree Warden Induction module. This is an introductory module which will help you to understand the history and structure of the Tree Warden Scheme, the role of Tree Wardens and why trees matter.
- STWN Members Training Session 2. Friday 25th February 2022 at 7pm. Zoom
- Biology module. A peek into the fascinating science of trees, this module helps you understand a tree as a dynamic living system made up of various parts and processes which enable it to grow and reproduce.
- STWN Members Training Session 3. Friday 25th March at 7pm. Zoom
- Threats module. This module outlines some of the challenges that trees face including in gardens, near existing buildings, on development sites and how Tree Wardens can help.
- STWN Members Training Session 4. April/May, time & date TBC. In Person Meeting.
- Law module. This module is an overview of the legal framework surrounding the protection of trees, the duty of care which tree owners and managers have, and the legislation that has an impact on trees.
It is the hope of the STWN and The Tree Council that all new Tree Wardens complete the first training module - Tree Warden Induction. The training will ensure that you know what your responsibilities, and limitations, are as a Tree Warden and will help you to get the most from being a member. We introduced this session at the STWN AGM in October '21 but for those that couldn't attend, this is a great opportunity for you to catch up on your training and to meet other Tree Wardens.
For more details, or to book onto a session please email the secretary on firstname.lastname@example.org
On-the-job Training Opportunities
If any Tree Wardens would like some 'on the job' training, the Spelthorne Tree Wardens would welcome you to join them for a morning’s activities. They meet every Thursday at 9 am at their nursery on the Towpath at the end of Docket Eddy Lane, Shepperton TW17 9NT. Anybody wanting to attend should arrive before 10 am because they often leave the site to work on planting or caring. You could just turn up or call David Woods on 01932 786806 or 07717 473124.
Elmbridge Tree Planting 28th November 2021
Let us know if you're planning on coming! Elmbridge Tree Wardens email@example.com
The AGM for the Surrey Tree Warden Network will be held on Saturday 16th October 2021, 9.30am - 5pm, in Tadworth. The keynote speaker is Paul Wood, who has written
many books on trees including ‘London is a Forest’ and ‘London’s Street Trees’ - books about the extraordinary variety of trees, exotic and native, to be found in the capital. More details: STWN Agenda 16th October 2021
Seed Collecting Walk - Esher 10th October
If you are interested in collecting tree seeds you are welcome to join Rod Thorn for a walk on Esher Commons on
Sunday 10th October at 2pm. The plan is to collect a small number of acorns, nuts and other seeds to germinate at home.
The aim is to build up a collection of saplings for later planting. Paper bags supplied! For more info, email Rod:
Down My Way…
Bushy Park Tree Walk
11am Friday 28th May 2021
Walk led by Rod Thorn
Surrey Tree Wardens are invited to come and visit Bushy Park (one of my favourite places for trees) for a morning walk. We’ll see the avenues of Horse Chestnuts and Lime Trees, and visit the woodland gardens with various native and more exotic trees. I can’t promise to know the names of all the trees but I’ll take you to my favourite places! The walk will last about 1½ hours, but you can spend as long as you like. If you’d like to come please let me know (numbers meeting outside are still limited) and I’ll give you detailed information about where in the park we will meet up.
Email Rod on firstname.lastname@example.org
- Bushy Park is next to Hampton Court Palace.
- There is parking in Bushy Park, no charge at the moment, but sometimes it gets a bit crowded.
- Toilets and refreshments are available in the park.
- Dogs are only allowed on leads, and not at all in the woodland gardens.
Bushy Park Website https://www.royalparks.org.uk/parks/bushy-park
(Picture credit: Cristian Bortes, via Wikimedia)
The 2020 AGM was scheduled for June 2020, but we have taken the decision to postpone it due to the Covid-19 (Coronavirus) situation.